Friday, March 4, 2016

Sandwiches Are Delicious

A dear friend of ours made that comment at dinner two nights ago. Sandwiches are delicious! An insightful comment that has the added benefit of being true. You see, she's undergoing some dietary restrictions right now, and she's really looking forward to being able to have a sandwich again when it's over. It's the simple things in life, isn't it?

Of course, I found her comment hilarious, and told her she had given me the title of my next post.

Another dear friend, many years ago, made a comment that I found to be funny in the same way. I didn't ask permission, so I will reveal no names. Suffice it to say that she's a regular commenter here. Once, many years ago, we were looking at a globe, trying to find Addis Ababa, a city in Africa. (Ethiopia, but we didn't know that at the time) This friend exclaimed, "Isn't the world gigantic???" Why, yes it is. She has not lived that question down since.

Both of these statements reveal an innocence, a sense of wonder that many of us lose in this cynical world. I lost it a long time ago. But the events of the past year have brought it back.

You've heard me say many times in this blog, if you've been reading it, that since my diagnosis, life tastes sweeter. Colors seem brighter. God is very real to me. My need for contact with others, which should have been obvious before, is suddenly right in front of my face.

I talked with a close friend today for the first time in months, and was saying that we can no longer allow months to go by before we talk again. This should have been a priority for me before I got smacked by God's 2 by 4, but at least I woke up before it was too late.

I am crushed to have to say that while I'm glad to have reconnected with her in time, I was five years too late for her late husband, who was one of the closest friends I've ever had. I regret not keeping in closer contact with him every day. That's why I told her that we can't allow this to happen anymore. We don't have time.

In church last Sunday, a video was showed of a man dying of a terminal disease, talking about how grateful he is. He said that in circumstances like that, people either become angry or grateful. Even in his difficult circumstances, he felt gratitude. I'm not anywhere nearly as bad off as the man in the video, but I relate to his attitude. I told my wife and my pastor afterward that I'm glad I fall into the grateful camp, rather than the angry camp.

I find myself excited about simple, everyday tasks. I can't wait to get up in the morning. Actually, some mornings I can, but you know what I mean. I look forward to the coming days with great anticipation. I may dread some of the treatment I receive, but I'm loving life these days. It's easy when you're loved as much as I am. And you probably are, and don't even know it. I didn't until you-know-what happened.

And that's why I feel grateful. Though I lived for so many years not really understanding deep down how loved and blessed I am, at least I got this chance, and I'm not gonna blow it. I'm gonna take advantage of every day that I get from now on. Because the world is gigantic. And sandwiches are delicious. #waroncancer

No comments:

Post a Comment