Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Ministry Of Silly Walks

My wife and I are big Monty Python fans. There is a famous Monty Python sketch about a fictitious government agency called The Ministry Of Silly Walks. John Cleese plays the lead role. You can see the full sketch below. I'm wearing a Ministry Of Silly Walks T-shirt today, because I've officially joined the Ministry Of Silly Walks for the next few days. Since my Lupron shot this morning, my walk has gotten sillier as the day has gone on.

First, we had the consultation with my oncologist. But we didn't find out as much as we expected to. He had not talked to the radiation oncologist yet to discuss his recommendation of a biopsy. He also wants to talk to his board of experts again to discuss my case. By the end of the week, I expect to hear from him with a strategy.

As I've mentioned before, other than this one thing, I'm in very good heath. Other than this one thing. Other than that one thing, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

After the consultation, while we waited, I was trying to think about something besides the shot I was dreading. All kinds of emotions were swirling inside me, and I was afraid that I would cry when the time came. Sharon suggested counting backwards from 100, or doing math problems in my head. Like doing math is gonna make me feel better! Me! So instead, I started quoting the 23rd Psalm. "The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need...." Sharon said, "No, don't do that, you'll get even more emotional!" And I would have, too. I'd have been bawling long before I got to "And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever!"

The shot itself was easy, in spite of my fears. I didn't even feel the needle this time. Those of you with longer medical histories than mine have known this fact for a long time: The painfulness of a shot is in direct proportion to the skill of the person giving it. The MA who gave me the shot today was very good. The first one, not so much. For one thing, the shot had been warmed up since 7:30 this morning! No warming it up between her hands this time.

But the aftermath has been pretty much what I expected. I feel numb, and my right hip is stiff and hurts, but not too bad. Three ibuprofen should do the trick.

My wife and I FaceTimed with our wonderful friend Nikki Nielsen this morning before we left for our appointments. For most of the conversation we talked about our favorite TV show, The Walking Dead. But at the end, she asked to pray for me. Like she did at Christmastime, she blew me away with the prayer that she prayed. This woman has a direct line to God.

Then, in the lab waiting room, while I waited for Sharon's blood draw, I got a text from my dear one Nicki Morgan, to say that she was praying for me. I'm not sure what I did to deserve people like this in my life, but I'm so thankful for them. As I am thankful for you. My walk is silly, but my heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment