Saturday, February 20, 2016

Lupron Mishap

I have really become sold on this blogging thing. Can you tell? I have a friend who's having major health problems, and has for many years, and who's also unemployed right now, and boy could he use the encouragement that doing this provides. I'm telling everyone I know who's going through tough times to consider it.

I had a rather alarming incident happen yesterday, which I believe is related to the Lupron in my system. I've mentioned before that a sensation of numbness is one of the side effects. Apparently, it's not just on the outside, but the inside too. I've noticed that when I'm sitting down, I don't have the feeling in my lower abdomen and legs that I do when I'm standing. This has, until now, mainly been manifested in the sudden need to go to the bathroom when I stand up, after I couldn't feel it when I was seated. This has happened a few times.

I was asked to sing for a funeral yesterday afternoon. After I sang my first song, I sat down to wait to sing my second song, which was scheduled for after the sermon. As the service went on, I started to realize that I had not gone to the bathroom for a while, and I was starting to feel like maybe I would have one of those urges the next time I stood. That would not do, so I excused myself and found a bathroom to save myself that embarrassment, not to mention the horror of a grieving family when the singer starts to wet himself in front of the congregation.

I got back to my seat, sat down, and crossed my legs, as I often do. When the sermon was over, I got up to walk onto the platform and sing my last song, and my left ankle buckled under me. My left leg had fallen asleep, but I couldn't tell until I tried to put weight on it. Thankfully, there was a piano there that I could brace myself on. The congregation gasped, but I assured them that my leg had simply fallen asleep. I limped up to the pulpit and managed to get through the last song.

But on the inside, I was very scared. By the time I got home, I was having trouble walking. My ankle felt very unstable. Sharon wrapped an ice pack on it, then wrapped it up in a bandage that I'm still wearing. My ankle's better today. Yesterday I needed four Ibuprofen to knock out the pain, but today I don't need anything. I'm just limping around the house like the Penguin. If it still hurt today like it did yesterday, I'd probably be calling my doctor demanding Vicodin.

My wife says to stop crossing my legs. I'm trying, but it's a hard habit to break. I will at least have to be more aware about when I'm going to need to stand up, and make sure my legs are uncrossed so there's circulation for a few minutes beforehand. Lifestyle changes.

My dad makes beautiful canes from found branches, and he has sent some to us over the past few years. We have them displayed in our house, but I've never needed to use one of them until last night. I was hobbling around very glad for the cane in my left hand! Thanks, Dad!

As always, I look forward to reading your comments. Thanks so much for all your support! I feel very loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment