Monday, February 29, 2016

Jazzed

I can't sleep, so I'm gonna write. It helped me once before, so I'll try it again. When I have a post running through my head when I'm trying to sleep, it's best to get it out. But this time, it's not because I'm scared. It's for all the right reasons.

I wasn't gonna do this, but this is gonna end up being a shameless plug.

I went to that rehearsal that I told you about tonight. I felt really good today because of the good night's sleep I got the night before. Now, I really believe that God gave me that good night's sleep so I could get through as much of the rehearsal as I did. The first two rehearsals I went to were kinda rough for me. I tired quickly, and needed to leave very early the second time. But this time, my energy level was high, I was in good spirits, and I stayed until 10. It's 1:43 AM here right now as I write this. They may still be going.

This rehearsal was a tun of fun for a few reasons. For one, everyone was there for the first time. Two of our members live in Kansas, for some inexplicable reason. So they were not with us for the first two rehearsals. It really helps a band's sound if all the members are present! Duh!

For another, it sounds freakin' great. Let's start with the band. This is a really, really good band. One of the best I've ever worked with, if not the best. And the sound system in this church is to die for. So it sounds really good all the way around.

The biggest improvement in the sound, however, came from one person. Kristen Miller was there. Holy smokes, this girl can sing. Heidi, Phil and I are pretty good, but this girl will blow the roof off the joint. She makes all the difference, not only as a singer, but as a worship leader. And I discovered her. No one can say I didn't. Except maybe Ed Belzer. Not that I'm taking credit for how good she is or anything. OK, maybe a little. I'm very proud of her.

OK, that's enough gushing. Here's the deal. If you like good worship music, live in the Denver area, and want to hear a really good band this Sunday night, come to this concert. It's free, I think. If it's not, tell them you're on my guest list.

I only wish I could be a more full participant. But I'm happy to be doing what I can. Sure, it's great fun doing a big concert with a really good band. But for me, it's more about the people. When you're in a band for a few years, it becomes a family. Sometimes a dysfunctional family, but a family nonetheless. That is certainly true of this band. I know Kristen feels that way, and she was only with us for a year. We miss the ones who couldn't be with us. Wish you were here. On a personal note, I especially miss Deb. Just saying.

The band consists of several members of the Hope Fellowship band, on and off, including Adam Rey, Mark Allen and me. C.J. Lewis was a regular there on keys, and he's the keyboard player in this band. Kristen also played keyboards and sang in the Hope Band briefly when we were in the Highline location. Come to think of it, Bob and Phil have both played there too. So everybody except Heidi, and I tried to get her in the choir a couple of times! Oh yeah, Dave Williams, the pastor of the church where we're playing, ran sound for our last Maundy Thursday service at Hope. He's as much a member of the band as any of us. Probably more. But I guess what I'm saying is, I want to see as many of our Hope peeps there as possible. Spread the word.

One more gush fest before we get to details. You've got to visit this church. Something special is going on there. Every time I've been there, I've been incredibly blessed. I was raised Nazarene, but if we lived farther north, we would be attending Broomfield Assembly Of God. Dave and Becky and their whole staff and church are amazing. And they have a kick in the pants sound system to boot! It helps when your pastor is the God Of Sound.

So here are the particulars.

WHEN: Sunday, February 21st, 2015, 6:30 PM. That's this Sunday, in case you're not paying attention.

WHERE: Broomfield Assembly Of God, 11900 Reed St, Broomfield, CO 80020.

Here is the Facebook promo. Feel free to share. https://www.facebook.com/events/1705195699700933/

So now you know why I can't sleep. It's not because I'm worried or afraid. It's because I'm jazzed. But I hope getting this written will prove to be a good sedative.

No comments:

Post a Comment